Saturday, July 09, 2005

but before I leave...

I went to buy the CDs after dinner: in the end I bought the Nina Simone CD and a Brazil chill-out CD. I was happily listening to them as I decided not to go back on the 20th but on the 18th - the street I take every day. I changed streets on K, passing in front of CSIS. Then, on the corner of 18th and L I was passing by Borders, and looked inside to see who is there at 8.30 p.m. And who was there? Michael!!! I stopped and looked if it's really him, and yes, he was. Then I was hesitating to go and say hello. And I didn't...hmm. Too bad!

At home Till met me in the door. He said, "hey, I was just writing a note to you" and the note said, "we want to say goodbye to you so there's no escape. call me at 202 ..." and then I came. I was so happy. He is so nice to me.

Then we agreed to go for a beer at 11, so I went up to the room and Francesca came in. Turns out she's going to sleep in Laura's bed tonight. We chitchatted about Chicago, and agreed it's a very very nice city (2nd best on my list of American cities - after San Fran). Then she said they are going for a beer, Justo, Angi, Maartje and her - I wanted to join so I went down to the library to speak about it with Till. And who was there? Justo and Angi! And I went up to Justo and he said, "hey, I was looking for you" and then asked me some advice for the maps to Philadelphia, where they are going tomorrow. It's so nice that I've been here enough so I have some knowledge about how things are going...it's a good feeling.

Then we went to the beer place (where you can buy beers from all over the world, and they are listed by countries - of course, there's no beer from Hungary, but come on. We always drink imported beer - or beer that is made in Hungary, but is officially not Hungarian: like Goesser.) So the place was crowded so I suggested we go to 18th Street Lounge, but it's Friday so there might have been a cover charge, so instead we went to Gazouza, where I've always been with the French. And we entered, and who I saw? Nicholas, a guy who works at the French Embassy, and who was there at Zlatko's dinner. But he didn't see me. Anyway, I was happy that I could spot someone in a crowded place like Gazouza - another sign that even if it's to a small extent, but I became a "local". Till, Maartje, Francesca, Angelines, Tim and I were drinking Corona and Justo was drinking Heineken. The problem with Corona is that I love the slice of lime - but you have to put it inside and then in the end you can't take it out. I tried but I only spilled the rest of the beer on myself.

So tomorrow my sister comes (thanks Kinga for the comment) and I'm so excited! But!!!
Justo just asked me if I want to go to Philadelphia with him and Angelines - I would otherwise go, because she seems to be very nice. And I can see why Justo said that she's a bit like me. But Maartje said there's not much to see there and I already saw the major cities of the East Coast. And then if I ever come back, that should be something to see. (And also: Key West, Florida - these two places I missed).

I'm not going to post I guess until I come back - maybe not until I arrive back to Hungary and have access to the Internet again, which will take some time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A véleményednek némileg ellentmond a pécsi Koriander punkegyüttes örökbecsű dala - részlet a szövegből:


"Nincs még egy hozzáfogható
A legjobb ital, mi kapható
Kis pénzem befektetem örömmel,
S jól elleszek a sörömmel.

A Szalon Sör!
A Szalon Sör!
A Szalon Sör!

(zúzás)

Kösz szépen, nem kell Soproni,
Bár tudom, hogy az is otthoni
Szalon sör legyen csak mellettem,
F*szomnak kell a Heinekken!

Nem kell!
- A Heinekken!
Nem kell!"


:)

Konrad said...

Gösser is from Austria I think. Of course Germany has the best beer :-)
I wish you all the best for your trip home! Where are you going to? Budapest? I have never been there but I want to go there as soon as possible. It must be gorgeous.
Hope to hear you soon!