Wednesday, June 29, 2005
on the Mississippi and American art
"The Mississippi River is famed in atrocious song and verse; the most prevalent motif is one which attempts to make of the river an ersatz father figure. Actually, the Mississippi River is a treacherous and sinister body of water whose eddies and currents yearly claim many lives. I have never known anyone who would even venture to stick his toe in its polluted brown waters, which seethe with sewage, industrial waste, and deadly insecticides. Even the fish are dying. Therefore, the Mississippi as Father-God-Moses-Daddy-Phallus-Pops in an altogether false motif begun, I would imagine, by that dreary fraud, Mark Twain. This failure to make contact with reality is, however, characteristic of almost all of America's "art". Any connection between American art and American nature is purely coincidental, but this is only because the nation as a whole has no contact with reality." (John Kennedy Toole, The Confederacy of Dunces)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have linked your blog. What do you say about that? :-)
I have used the Bobby Jean name. Is that okay?
Of course it's okay! Thanks a lot!
Post a Comment