Tuesday, July 24, 2007

going back to Budapest soon!

I looked up "block" in the Urban Dictionary today and guess what it had?

"In Central/Eastern Europe, Poland, post-DRG Germany & France, "block" is fuckin' HUGE apartment bulding made of concrete panels, where people live like rats in cages. Worst muthafuckin ghetto you can imagine."

Haha! I wonder if I should confirm this as an apt description of the humble quarters Zsófi and I reside in in Budapest. Or Andi and Zoli- they live in the same type of houses! I will just keep drücken den Daumen that our American friends visiting in August will not look around too much and like it!

Also, I read a funny article in Index today. Title: "We are looking for the dirtiest place in Budapest" and the first sentence: "Has it ever happened to you that you wanted to throw up while walking around in our beloved capital?" They also show a picture of the first metro stop on the blue line, which connects the city to the airport (well- "connects" is a bit of a stretch to say). "The ugly plastic building leading to the tracks is painted a friendly orange- however, garbage is whirling everywhere and the only reason you are not disturbed by the smell is that your nose shuts down in shock at the first moment."

No comments: