David Foster Wallace died! And where do I get to know this? From The Onion?! I was hoping it was some sort of weird joke but I searched and found that he died, 6 days ago! He was a cool guy. He committed suicide. Why did you do this David Foster Wallace!!!
Yesterday I was thinking if it was possible to write, to write anything without somebody in mind reading the text. Is there such a thing as a "general audience"? Or you are always writing to someone? Is that why they have at the beginning of books "To Martha"? I always thought that was just because they love those people but maybe it's because they wrote the books imagining those specific people would read them, and they sit there excitedly, "now what do you think?" I think that is why my early DC posts were much better. I re-read them and they are much better.
I ceremoniously deleted all the music I had on my phone last night, and put music I used to listen to ages ago. Like Nirvana. But I got excited and was listening to almost all the songs before going to sleep, which made it harder to fall asleep. It was so great listening to these songs! And tonight I was in the mood to listen to loud tc tc tc tc music so I put on the big headphones and turned it up and looked up 90s disco songs and that was entertainment proper.
Today I got to know that next Friday is Science Friday and I'm going on a boat that goes on the Danube for an hour with Szilvi and Bözs and we are going to detect the bottom of the river with some sound waves but the fun part is that it's at 3 so I'm going to skip work for a bit and we'll have a beer (unless it stays 10 degrees like now) and we'll have some photo ops.
That's also going to be Zsófi's birthday so Zsófi and I signed up for an airplane simulation test at the tech university and Zsófi now thinks we'll actually have to use a joystick to fly a computer plane and she's going to crash it in the first minute and then we'll have to leave. Exciting!
4 comments:
Every good writing contains thoughts that can be generalized to an extent that would not be possible if these were mainly targeted at someone specific. I mean it's hard to imagine if Joseph Heller woke up some morning and said to his wife "Oh Darling here's my new Catch 22 shit. I swear it was written for you only. But hey let's just sell it so we can get the money!"
That's not what I meant. It's possible to express general thoughts formed in a way as to argue with somebody else's, or to imagine how that other person would react to it. In other words, Joseph Heller might have included ideas in the book that he has previously run past his wife, or wants to in the form of the book. And Catch 22 is funny and maybe the jokes come from the jokes between him and his beloved? No? What were you doing up at 6.39?
That's true but the question was if you can write without some specific person in mind reading the text. And from a "logical" point of view you are not only doing it because you can, but because you first have to form the concept of general audience in your mind, and then you can give it to someone who you like. And "first" here is not something temporal, but rather something logical. But what you say is also true.
6.39? My father had to go to work early, and I wanted to talk with him in the morning because he is doing 2 shifts and I won't be here when comes home in the evening.
I heard DFW left a suicide letter with 87 footnotes
Post a Comment